Reporting To: Engineering Department Manager
The company is based in Consett, County Durham and specialises in the reverse engineering of rotating equipment. We service and repair all varieties of large industrial pumps; spare parts are manufactured in our own machine shop via reverse engineering. We are at an exciting point in our development and this is a new position in the engineering team which has arisen due to considerable growth.
This position plays a pivotal role in producing technical solutions to complex engineering projects, the main focus being on providing a full reverse engineering package for parts. The Reverse / Design Engineer will report directly to the Engineering Department Manager whilst supporting a busy production team. The Reverse / Design engineer will capture detail from damaged, worn out and obsolete rotating equipment via various 3D scanning methods, then create models from captured date leading to 2D drawings for manufacture or repair.
Strong attention to detail is required, along with the ability to work to tight timescales and stringent standards without compromising on quality or cost. Some overseas and UK travel may be required for short periods.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Use 3D scanning technology to create 3D CAD models from complex samples
- Use portable CMM (Faro Arm) to create 3D models
- Use a portable white light laser scanner to create 3D models
- Use customer information/samples to create 3D models
- Use first principal measuring to create 3D models
- Build full digital models with all mating features to establish fits and clearances
- Preparing design documentation for production (component design, technical drawings)
- Working closely with other departments to provide relevant information as required
- Cross-check colleagues’ technical drawings to ensure they comply with company standards and samples
- Contributing to design reviews
- Use Solidworks software to produce models and drawings
- Maintaining, where necessary, existing design information using software packages
- Provide engineering support and technical guidance as and when required.
- Refining 3D models in the product range
- Store manage and file all information into relevant vaults as per company procedure
- Follow company processes and procedures on Health Safety and Environment
- Mechanical Engineering background: ONC/HNC/HND in mechanical engineering is preferred
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes including casting, forging, machining, and metal fabrication
- Excellent 2D and 3D design skills with experience of Solidworks / design works / EPDM Vault
- Experienced in the use of CMM, Faro Arm, 3D scanning technology
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering and drawing standards.
- Understanding of pumps and rotating equipment
- Experience in the use of FEA would be an advantage
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Proven ability to execute and deliver projects within specific time frames
- Ability to work within a team with initiative and minimum supervision
- Independent ability but with a team mentality
- Focused on detail and accuracy
- Salary: Competitive and negotiable
- Hours: 37 Hours per week: 07:30 – 16:00 Monday to Thursday | 07:30 – 12:30 Friday.
- Pension: 3% Company contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme