Pump Service Shop Manager (Workshop based) (Pumps/Rotating Equipment)
The company is based in Consett, County Durham and specialises in the reverse engineering of rotating equipment. We service and repair all varieties of large industrial pumps; spare parts are manufactured in our own machine shop via reverse engineering. The position of Pump Service Shop Manager has become available, which requires the right person to assist in the growth and continued success of the Service Department.
The Pump Service Shop Manager (40% hands-on/60% office) reports directly to the Engineering Manager and is responsible for the supervision of a small team of service engineers in the disassembly, inspection, reporting and repair/re-assembly of various pieces of rotating equipment that includes main boiler feed pumps, vertical pit pumps, split case pumps and rotating elements.
This role is as a working manager, so in addition to hands-on stripping, inspection and assembly of pumps and other equipment, the candidate will be responsible for timekeeping and day-to-day management of the rest of the service team. The Pump Service Shop Manager is further responsible for ordering and organising any spares as detailed on the bill of materials and sales orders and ensuring that these parts are available in good time.
A great variety of equipment passes through the service department from a worldwide customer base, so good team management and product knowledge is essential to achieve the best results in a growing business. Ideally from an OEM pump service background, the successful candidate will be a time served Engineer with relevant management or supervisory experience and a proven track record in the rotating equipment industry.
- Managing a department of up to ten skilled personnel
- Timely planning, disassembly, inspection, reporting and repair of equipment to pre-determined deadlines.
- Responsible for the quality and costs of all work through the department
- Identification, sourcing and procurement of spares, consumables and tooling.
- Compiling detailed inspection and build reports for customers
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Experienced mechanical fitter with minimum of 10 years’ experience in the servicing/disassembly/assembly of pumps and rotating equipment.
- Experience of hydro and performance testing
- Recognised mechanical engineering apprenticeship
- Excellent leadership skills and experience
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to tasks
- PC Literate (Microsoft Office tools)
- Salary: circa £38,000 negotiable
- Hours: 37 (07:30 – 16:00 Monday -Thursday & 07:30 – 12:30 Friday)
- Overtime rate applicable
- Company contribution pension
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Radius Allowance payable for home to work travel over 10 miles